Smalltalk/X jv branch is a fork of Smalltalk/X developed and maintained by me. This enhanced version includes features that are not part Smalltalk/X upstream nor released by eXept (and likely won't be).
Simply put, Smalltalk/X jv-branch is Smalltalk/X on steroids :-)
- 32bit and 64bit version for both Linux and Windows
- Improved VM with many fixes
- Improved tools like class browser, inspector, file browser, change browser...
- STX:LIBJAVA to load and run Java inside Smalltalk/X
- Mercurial support
- SmallSense coding productivity plugin
- Tools for diffing and merging Smalltalk/X packages
- Much more...
STX:LIBJAVA is a lightweight Java environment implemented within a Smalltalk/X jv-branch. It contains a tiny JVM implementation, embedded in the Smalltalk/X VM, allowing for running a Java code in the same VM as Smalltalk. But mora than that! Following Smalltalk tradition, it provides not only a VM but also a set of tools for developing and debugging Java code.
- Good integration between Smalltalk and Java - call Java from Smalltalk and other way round without any boilerplate code, it "just works"
- Good integration into Smalltalk tools - browse, navigate & edit code in standard class browser, inspect objects in inspector...
- Runtime code update - change and debug Java code while it's running, just like everyone do in Smalltalk.
- JIT for Java